Get Started in the Security FieldWhat you need to know:
- You must be at least 18 years of age
- Picture ID is required for each class
- A full criminal history background check must be cleared and approved by the FBI & Cal. Dept. of Justice
- 40 Hours of training must be completed
- 8 Hours initially for the application process (Phase I)
- 16 Hours within 30 days of employment in the Security field (Phase II)
- 16 Hours within 6 months of employment in the Security field(Phase III)
- Assembly Bill 2880 now requires all guards to complete an 8 hour refresher course every year
AdvisementsApplying by Mail:
- DO NOT send cash. Send payments as Check or Money Order payable to B.S.I.S.
- Send all paperwork Certified Mail or Return Receipt through the Post Office.
- Make copies of your paperwork and maintain all receipts.
- Visit http://www.bsis.ca.gov/online_services/online_licensing.shtml
- Register with the State online and complete the application process.
You will need the information on the paperwork you received at class.
Then pay the online fee of $51 with your Credit Card.
- You MAY NOT use this process if you are also applying for a Firearm Permit.
An unarmed Security Guard placed on assignment must have the following documents on his/her person:
- A screen print out of "Clear" status from the Bureau's web-site OR a valid Security Guard Registration card.
- A valid Photo ID/Drivers License